***Extension for applications’ deadline: Saturday 3/2/ 2018***
**In the event of multiple applications, the selection of the participants (15 per group) will be based on creating homogeneous groups to ensure a high quality tailored training program.**
*The completion of the application form is not a guarantee of attendance. The applicants will be notified personally regarding attendance, 10 days after the end of applications deadline.*
-For complete program leaflet please see HERE-
What is the Cultural Mediation Training Program?
The Language Project in collaboration with SCG – Scientific College of Greece is offering a comprehensive training program that defines the professional role of the Cultural Mediator. Incorporating European best practices and contributions from professional and academic associations from the fields of translation and interpretation, the educational content leverages the experience gained from real-life practice, and familiarizes learners with the intricacies of relevant national institutional frameworks. The program is accredited by the National Organization for the Certification of Qualifications & Vocational Guidance (EOPPEP).
Why should I apply?
This program aims to cover the existing gaps in training cultural mediators, by combining general and theoretical education with specialized and practical application, while investing the time necessary for each topic.
Anyone who practices –or wishes to practice– cultural mediation will benefit from this program, as it provides the tools that will shape them into a competent and competitive professional in this very particular occupational field.
On top of offering high quality services, this training program ensures that refugee and migrant population access their rights, facilitates their smoother integration, and enables the users of services (organizations, public and civil services, social and educational institutions) to assist beneficiaries with culturally appropriate services, suitable for their conditions and needs.
Who can participate?
- Asylum seekers, refugees, first- and second-generation migrants, and bilinguals without any experience in cultural mediation.
- Professional interpreters and cultural mediators who wish to further their knowledge with a suitable professional training.
Instruction language: Greek and/or English
Native tongue: The program is open to all speakers of languages used daily in the humanitarian field under the refugee crisis.
- NGO staff: €550 (if it is covered by the institution you work for)\
- NGO beneficiaries: €550 (if it is covered by the institution at which you are a beneficiary)
- Individuals: €420 (if you cover the cost)
Length and schedule: 100 hours of mandatory training
- For NGO staff: 5 2-hour classes from Monday to Friday (holidays excluded) within their working hours. Start 20/2/2018 – End 14/5/2018
- For NGO beneficiaries and individuals: 3 3-hour classes from Wednesday to Friday (holidays excluded) outside working hours. Start 20/2/2018 – End 18/6/2018
Language level prerequisite:
Proof of native tongue and foreign language knowledge is required:
- Greek and/or English language certificate B1 or higher, or high school diploma, or university degree, or any other relevant paper certifying the level.
- In case you do not possess such a certificate, you will be required to take a language test before enrolling to the program.
***The program will take place only if the required number of participants per class is reached.***
Venue: SCG – Scientific College of Greece, Pindarou 14Α and Solonos 16, Kolonaki, 10673, Athens
What will I learn?
The program consists of the following modules:
- Systemic approach to Cultural Mediation
- Introduction to interpreting techniques and language skills enhancement
- Introduction to translation concepts and techniques
- Introduction to Cultural Mediation and code of conduct.
- Cultural Mediation in healthcare
- Court interpreting and legal terminology
- Interpreting in the asylum-seeking process
- Mediation in public services and education
How can I apply?
Fill in the application form until
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will be notified within 10 days after the application submission final deadline.