For high-school students 15 – 18 years old
June 24 – July 5, 2019
3 US college credits
Organized by Hellenic American College in cooperation with The Language Project, the Summer Translation Academy offers talented high-school and college students with a passion for English a unique opportunity to experience first-hand the fascinating world of translation and interpreting today—from leading professionals in the field.
Under the guidance of this expert team and with the help of a rich set of real-world exercises, students gain insight into the challenges and practice of translation in settings ranging from conference interpretation and theatre translation to gaming localization and subtitling.
Courses are offered in Athens through Hellenic American College.
38 hours of instructions, 3 college credits
10:00 – 13:00 or 14:00, Monday through Friday.
- Translating teen literature
- Translating and the world of advertising
- Localizing video games
- Word, sound and image: the challenge of translating comics
- Translating for the theater
- The role and work of interpreters
- The European Union Juvenes Translatores contest for high-school students: how to take part
- Subtitling film and TV: tools, principles and methods
- Social aspects of translation: inclusion and equal gender representation (introduced by members of Liminal and Women on Top)
Students who successfully complete the course will receive a Certificate of Attendance and are eligible to receive college credit.
The workshops will be taught by a team of prominent certified translators and interpreters with teaching experience in Greek and American universities. Members of the team have worked with publishing houses such as Patakis, Kastaniotis and Metaixmio, streaming platforms such as Netflix. and international conference organizers. Their collective experience spans genres from plays and literary fiction to comics, films and video games.
How to Apply
Students interested in attending the Academy should be at or near the C2 level of proficiency in English.
For more information, please contact the Admissions Office at:
Hellenic American College
Massalias 22, Athens
+30 210 368 0950
To learn more about the program call us at 210 3680967 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: June 7, 2019